Saturday, 8 February 2014

Starting at the Beginning

I've been putting off starting a blog for months now, mainly because of the fear of not finding things to write about. Now that I finally overcame that, let me start right at the beginning, not of my story, but of the story of my blog and the source of inspiration for its name.

It was a normal rainy evening. I was on the way back from school. There was a heavy drizzle, not strong enough for the cats and dogs to come out (or stay in rather), but just light enough for every drop that fell on the car window to be distinctly visible. I stared out of the window, not looking at anything in particular, the diagonal darts of raindrops dissipating my view of the already scattered world outside the dry comfort of the car. I stared at the empty spaces on the window, waiting for the dashes of rain to fill them up. I watched hazy images of people and animals moving off to shelter or taking out their multicoloured and patterned umbrellas. As we moved closer to home, we left them behind, one by one. Soon enough, we had to stop at a signal. As I stared at the window, I watched a single drop of rain start its diagonal journey across the surface of the glass until the sudden stop of the car made it change direction and fall vertically downwards halfway through.

Already oblivious to the music playing on the radio, I sat there staring at that one deflected raindrop with only my thoughts playing in my ears. It was at that moment I realised how much we are like that little raindrop. We exist, as individual identities, but at some point we are not in complete control over our lives. I wouldn't go so far as to say that some supreme power or fate controls our lives, because I honestly don't believe that. But, at some level, I think we're all raindrops, subject to deflection by the wind and the car and the traffic signals. There are people who come in to our lives, experiences we have, the situations we're in, which so often make us feel like we were miraculously in the right place at the right time. We'll realise that most often we really are, if we connect the dots backwards like Steve Jobs tells us to. Of course, we can all just be regular old raindrops that drip down a car window, splatter on a helmet, merge into a puddle or disappear into black tar or wet mud; but, when we exist in the real sense, we just get deflected along the way, with every experience we have impacting us - whether a leaf falls, or there's a stain on the wall, or you make a new friend or go through a bad break up. Somehow the Universe, deflects some of us in the same direction. As Jake says in the show Touch, "When two points are destined to touch but a direct connection is impossible, the Universe will always find another way."

So, I start my very first blog celebrating the Deflected Raindrop that I am. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a hell of a way to start a blog. Wish I could see the world as clearly as you seem to. Our whole reality described as a raindrop. When I read, "we can all just be regular old raindrops that drip down a car window, splatter on a helmet, merge into a puddle or disappear into black tar or wet mud," I thought of people who survive without existing, "merg[ing]" into everyone else.

    P.s. I cannot believe you quoted Touch :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. It was sort of meant to come across that way. That's the difference between the ordinary and not so ordinary I guess.
      Thank you so much though! :')

      Delete