This is a poem I wrote as part of a competition in college. I've experimented a lot with form here, so try and notice the change in tense with each section and all that. I don't know if these is really my kind of writing, but I like how this one turned out, so here it goes.
Tense
I walk into the bar.
Past was seated,
Dull lights
illuminated
the empty room.
The bartender gives me
a bored look,
turns away
and watches his movie.
Past grinned.
"Join me for a drink?"
she asked,
almost evilly.
Uncertain, I shrug.
She seems a bore.
I'm awkward at first,
I mean,
I don't even know her!
Although... not anymore,
but I was once like her.
She seemed like
she had waited
only for me.
I order the drinks.
I sip slowly,
she chugged and encouraged me.
The shots that follow
nearly kill me;
She wanted to go home
and was taking me with her.
She was light headed,
now, I carried her baggage.
Together we were sitting,
drunk out of our minds,
as we watched her life
pass by her
and become a part of mine;
and everything that has happened
happens again.
I look around
for something I don't know.
The door opens,
and I think,
Someone is going to walk in,
the party is going to start.
Lights will shine on
different faces.
There will be company
other than Past.
Everyone who
will walk in
will bear the name
"Future".
It will be exciting
until it happens.
They're all
too different
and they
don't get along.
They fight
for my attention.
Future says,
"Past doesn't matter!"
Past retorts,
"You've known me forever.
You don't what she'll be like."
I mediate.
Dancing with Past
and seducing Future,
but they continue
their quarrel
till the bartender
stops them.
The atmosphere is
Tense
with Past and Future
in a bar.
As Present, I walk out
and shut the door on them.
Tense
I walk into the bar.
Past was seated,
Dull lights
illuminated
the empty room.
The bartender gives me
a bored look,
turns away
and watches his movie.
Past grinned.
"Join me for a drink?"
she asked,
almost evilly.
Uncertain, I shrug.
She seems a bore.
I'm awkward at first,
I mean,
I don't even know her!
Although... not anymore,
but I was once like her.
She seemed like
she had waited
only for me.
I order the drinks.
I sip slowly,
she chugged and encouraged me.
The shots that follow
nearly kill me;
She wanted to go home
and was taking me with her.
She was light headed,
now, I carried her baggage.
Together we were sitting,
drunk out of our minds,
as we watched her life
pass by her
and become a part of mine;
and everything that has happened
happens again.
I look around
for something I don't know.
The door opens,
and I think,
Someone is going to walk in,
the party is going to start.
Lights will shine on
different faces.
There will be company
other than Past.
Everyone who
will walk in
will bear the name
"Future".
It will be exciting
until it happens.
They're all
too different
and they
don't get along.
They fight
for my attention.
Future says,
"Past doesn't matter!"
Past retorts,
"You've known me forever.
You don't what she'll be like."
I mediate.
Dancing with Past
and seducing Future,
but they continue
their quarrel
till the bartender
stops them.
The atmosphere is
Tense
with Past and Future
in a bar.
As Present, I walk out
and shut the door on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment