Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Writing to Music

I really wanted to write but I wasn't sure what about. So, I thought I'd give this thing a teacher of mine made the class do last year, another shot. She played random music and told us to just write. From what I recall, the songs she played didn't have lyrics, or were in a different language. Not being so fortunate, when I put my music library on shuffle, every song that played had lyrics. I tried to not focus on them and focus on the feeling instead. When the lyrics went with what I was writing ad I felt the need to include them, I put them in quotations. And, of course, I stopped when I lost interest.
In case it helps to make better sense of the possible vagueness of this piece, I've put a list of the songs I listened to while writing this, below (just so it doesn't influence your reading of this otherwise).

The storm was building up. Slowly, steadily, till it rose, thundering over our heads. Rhythmically, the rain fell, almost musically. The pink-orange skies split by lightning were a beautiful sight to say the least. Not something you could see in the city for sure. "Thinking about what I'd been missing in the city, and I'm not missing a thing."
I felt free. One with the stormy sky, with the wet earth and greener leaves of all the trees around. The music of the rain filled me and made me want to dance. I was liberated, no longer confined to my room or my house. The storm had taken me far away.
While the rain poured heavily on the open ground, it dripped slowly, still musically, on to the parapet of the balcony. Every drip echoed; the resonance beckoning more drops to join the last in its tiny temporary puddle. They paid heed, falling steadily. There were drums, violins, pianos and guitars playing all at once creating crescendos and sharps followed by diminuendos and flats and broken by periodic rests. And in the backdrop of this polyphonic concerto was the steady downfall of the heavy rain that met no obstacle as it fell to the ground, to be absorbed by the, now, wet mud.
Like a rain forest. With birds chirping, enjoying the smell of the rain and wet mud. Monkeys jumping from tree to tree seeking dry shelter. Snakes hissing, revelling in the downpour. All of them cacophonically adding to the chaotically, unstructured, but beautiful music of the rain.
But calm is restored even during a storm. Despite the noise, I was at peace. The rain drowned out everything else – every noise and every thought.
I was filled with an overwhelming sense of joy and love – for everything around me. My heart sang with the rain and my soul continued to dance with it. I reached a new high, musically.
And at that octave, I left this world. I began to dream. Of things that would not likely be possible otherwise. I dreamt in pictures that changed as often as the songs of the storm did. There were new galaxies in my head, new planets, more trees, less people, and more animals – real and made up.
I was flown to the moon and floated in space, breathing in stardust. I could see "what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars". All until, along with the rain, I fell back to the earth, blanketed by stars and cradled by dreams. The rain stopped, the storm had passed, leaving its intoxicating smell behind. It made the Earth a much nicer place. Despite the sudden chill in the air a cup of hot chocolate kept me warm. Soon, I smiled myself to sweet slumber to enter another world of dreams but ones that wouldn't stay with me till the next morning.

Riding the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
Mother Freedom - Bread
Echoes Part I - Pink Floyd
Several Species of Small Furry Animals - Pink Floyd
Look What You've Done - Bread
Love - Nat King Cole
Imagine - John Lennon
Fly Me to the Moon - Diana Krall

No comments:

Post a Comment